ITAHARI, Oct 15: Two members of a family were charred to death on Sunday night when a fire broke out inside their house in Babiya VDC-1 of Sunsari district.
According to District Police Office Sunsari, 28-year-old Sita Mehta and her 8-month-old son Pratiksha were killed in the fire.
The house belongs to Rameshwar Mehta and the deceased are his daughter-in-law and grandson. Rameshwar, who tried to put out the fire, has sustained minor burn injuries, informed Police Inspector Khadak Paudel.
"Our preliminary investigation shows that the fire broke out inside their bedroom at around eight in the night, killing them instantly," said Paudel.
However, Paudel said they have not been able to find the main cause of the fire.
"We have found out that the fire was started with kerosene and the door was locked from the inside when the fire broke out," said Paudel. "This could be a planned suicide but we can´t reach any conclusion without concrete evidences," he added.