NC to accept CA revival if May 15 deal implemented
KATHMANDU, Sept 15: The Nepali Congress (NC) has said it is ready for reinstatement of the dissolved Constituent Assembly (CA) if the ruling UCPN (Maoist) shows willingness to abide by the May 15 agreement reached among the main political parties.
A meeting of the office bearers of the party held at party President Sushil Koirala’s residence in Maharajgunj Saturday morning came up with the proposal. It, further, decided to hold talks with the political parties for fresh polls should the UCPN (Maoist) disagree on the proposal.
On May 15, the parties had agreed to delineate 11 provinces and adopt a mixed system of governance with executive powers shared between the popularly-elected president and parliament-elect prime minister.
The parties had also agreed to adopt mixed electoral system allocating 55 percent seats for the first-past-the-post system and the remaining 45 percent for proportional representation.
Likewise, they had reached an understanding to have a bicameral legislature with a 311-member Lower House, to be called the House of Representatives, and a 65-member Upper House.
Today’s meeting also decided to hold discussion on the proposal with the CPN-UML in a joint meeting called for 5 pm this evening.
Emerging from the meeting, NC Vice-president Ram Chandra Paudel informed that the meeting discussed ways to end the current political and constitutional crisis.