CHITWAN, June 17: Three members of a family died and two others are said to be in critical condition after consuming wild Mushroom, at Kabilas-7 Chaukidada, Chitwan on Sunday.
While Santa Kumar Chepang, 7, died on Saturday, Somati Chepang, 25, and Man Bhadur Chepang, 9, died on Sunday. Somati was the mother of Man Bahadur and Santa Bahadur.
The family had eaten mushroom brought from the jungle on Wednesday evening last week which turned out to be poisonous.
Somati´s husband Buddhi Bhadur, 30, and the couple´s another child Arjun, 12, are in critical condition. They are receiving treatment at Bharatpur Hospital.
According to Lil Bahadur, Buddhi´s elder brother, Arjun has been admitted in the intensive care unit (ICU) of the hospital. He said that they had eaten wild mushroom called Kukhura Fule brought from jungle.
Doctors said that they could not save the three because the poisonous mushroom damaged their liver which stopped functioning.
Two other children of Buddhi Bahadur and his parents survived because they did not consume the mushroom. His father Maiete had gone to Lil Bhadur´s home and mother Sansari did not eat anything because of ailment. The other two children also did not eat anything.
Chaukidada is in distance of three hours walk from Jugadi of Narayangadh-Mugling section of Prithivi Highway. The economically backward, under privileged Chepang community lives along the stepper slopes of Dhading and Chitwan districts.
They cannot survive whole year from the production of crop of their land and go to jungle in search of herbs and spices. Eight members of a family of the same village had died due to consumption of poisonous fungi two years ago.